Saturday 14 April 2018

windows 7 - Disable possibility to eject internal hardrives


I recently installed Windows 7 Home Premium and suddenly saw that I could eject my internal hard drives:


Eject internal harddrives


With my previous installation (Professional), this was not possible. How could a (by definition) less advanced version of an operating system suddenly allow such a function? I didn't change anything in my computers bios, uefi, hardware - just the os version.


Anyway, I don't like that this is possible and I don't want to see the icon for my internal drives - how can I remove it? Of course, it should still show for external drives connected via USB/eSATA.



Answer



Install the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver or use the TreatAsInternalPort workaround.



Regedit your way to:



HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\services\msahci


and create a new KEY called "Controller0" inside Controller0, create a new KEY called "Channel0" Now inside Channel0, create a new DWORD called "TreatAsInternalPort" set this value to "1" (this sets SATA port 0 (Drive C)to no longer show up in "Safely Remove Hardware")


Now, go back into the Controller0 folder again. inside Controller0, create a new KEY called "Channel1" Now inside Channel1, create a new DWORD called "TreatAsInternalPort" set this value to "1" (this sets SATA port 1 (Drive D)to no longer show up in "Safely Remove Hardware")


And so on, until all internal SATA ports are set to be treated as Internal. My motherboard has 6 SATA ports, so I have set Channel0 to Channel5.



enter image description here (Imagesource: overclock.net)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...