Tuesday 17 April 2018

networking - Why do I go through Comcast so many times before I reach a website?



This is a command prompt. Something with a red line under or to the right side means it's a Comcast IP, blue means Google:


command prompt


I go through Comcast six times before I even reach a Google server. Why do I have to go through all these servers?



Answer



This is probably a good thing.


Basically when you go to a website or other resource on the internet, you never connect point to point - you're bounced between routers. To have a connection between two systems not go between other systems, they would need to have a dedicated line directly between them. Having a dedicated line between Google and each person using it would get complex fast. Connecting point to point is not the best option except in the smallest network. Don't forget, even to connect to a system in your own LAN through a router, you need 2 hops, so 11 hops to a server that's somewhere else is pretty darned impressive


Since Comcast owns their own links for most of the way, they're using them to save on cost. In many cases Google has servers in ISP datacenters for extra speed, so this might also be a reason for using your ISPs links most of the way.


This is the internet used as designed, in a manner that ensures you have a good enough connection to your destination, at lower cost.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...