Wednesday 18 April 2018

How can I copy my (Ubuntu 9.04) Linux filesystem to another computer?


I have spent a lot of time configuring my computer: shell scripts, path definitions, video settings, as well as lots of programs. The disk is ext3 formatted.


I would like to 1) move everything important to a different computer and and/or 2) transfer it all to a virtual machine that could be run in multiple locations, backed up, snapshotted, etc.


I suspect that I could start by just copying the whole directory, but I'd appreciate it if anyone knows a more optimal solution.


Thanks,


David



Answer



If you're going to be doing this often, I would suggest making a custom live CD using a tool like remastersys. It's very easy to use and completely portable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...