Friday 9 February 2018

windows 10 - How to combine two partitions from two disks into one disk clone with two partitions: system and C:

I have cloned my windows 10 pro desktop at work to my desktop at home with macrium. I paid no attention to hardware specs. It worked beautifully. Activated Windows and Office with a new key, renamed the machine, reconfigured the VPN, etc.


Now I would like to clone the same clone to my laptop.


Originally, I made a disk clone of my home PC, boot my work PC with it and saved a disk image with macrium to that clone. Then i booted my home computer with the same disk (it's a 1tb m.2) and restored my work computer to my home setup.


I would like to do the same thing with my laptop only my laptop came with some interesting instructions. Basically, it can only dual-boot off of grub into windows because the firmware was built with Linux in-mind. It comes with a special partition that is necessary for it to run windows named WINDRIVERS. In the instructions that came with the laptop it says explicitly that the laptop will not run windows without this partition.


So i can't just do the same thing i did before because macrium does not let you to restore a disk image partially. You have to restore the whole image and wipe the destination entirely.


I retrieved the partition with drivers for windows, 'WINDRIVERS', from my laptop and converted it to an .iso .


it's saved together with the disk clone i made at work (with macrium) on my home computer.


I am trying to restore the C: partition from my work desktop along with the WINDRIVERS partition that I retrieved from my laptop back to my laptop.


Whats difficult is that there is no 'disk' to clone. Its two partitions taken from two disks. I positive that i am going the wrong way about this. I wish someone would enlighten me as to how this is to be done.


Can I leave WINDRIVERS and just restore the C: partition from work? Will it boot?


I do not have much courage to experiment because last time i started doing this kind of thing my laptop died (you couldn't even turn it on). It was brand new.


I have spent days losing sleep over this. I spent money on backuppers and burners. I i'm sure many people have done this before and have a straight forward way to do it. I would appreciate some insight.


Keep in mind that there should be no licensing issues as I am replacing the product key for windows, office, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...