Sunday 11 February 2018

power supply - Is it ok to run a system with a PSU that idles at only 10% of its capacity?

I'm building a system based on a Sandbridge cpu with H67 chipset that will only use the onboard video. Other than that it will have only a cd drive and one HD. After checking different power calculator the average requirement is about 280w. But I'd like have have headroom to add a high end video card (with TDP of about 200w) in the future which raises the power requirement to near 500w. So I think I should buy a 500w PSU to be ready for a video upgrade.


My concern is that the system with onboard video is consuming (from what I've read) about 60w at idle which is only about 12% of the capacity of the PSU. I've also read that it's better to run PSUs in their efficiency zone of 20%-80% of their capacity. Will this reduce the life of the PSU to run it at only 10-12% of its capacity? And how mush efficiency loss can I expect?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...