Wednesday 7 February 2018

Hyper-V not working on Windows 8

I'm unable to start a virtual machine on my newly installed instance of Hyper-V on Windows 8. Here is the error message I'm getting:


Could not find a usable certificate. Error: 'Element not found'


I've tried:



  • Re-installing Hyper-V

  • Restarting the Hyper-V service

  • The steps listed here.

  • Installing kb967902 (couldn't install it)


Any ideas?


Edit 1


The error occurs for a single VM that was created through Hyper-V. The VM currently has no OS on it (because it's newly created).


This is the only VM on Hyper-V. I'm simply trying to install XP on a VM so I can do some IE 8 testing.


Edit 2


I've tried all the steps in @MystereMan's answer & comments up to and including a reinstall of Hyper-V.


We've narrowed the problem down to a certificate not existing in vmms\Personal\Certificates.


Edit 3



Host name found: OMS144.WORKGROUP Creating a new certificate using makecert.exe Error: Can't create the key of the subject ('ac9fcedb-e695-4279-817d-fd1c98729dd6') Failed Unexpected Exception!


At C:\Users\OMS 144\Desktop\Untitled1.ps1:44 char:9+ throw “Certificate Not Found error. Check if makecert.exe is successful ...+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ At C:\Users\OMS 144\Desktop\Untitled1.ps1:11 char:20+ 0..100 | foreach { write-host -ForegroundColor White ((gv -ErrorAction Silen ...+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


System.Management.Automation.RuntimeException: Certificate Not Found error. Check if makecert.exe is successful or not



Edit 4


Certificate created successfully:



vmms\Trusted Root Certification Authorities\Certificates\OMS144.WORKGROUP



Error message persists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...