Tuesday 16 October 2018

windows 7 - Restrict access to a folder by EXE


Is it possible in Windows 7 to restrict which EXEs can access a certain folder?


Let's imagine I have a folder (c:\myfolder) with some data files that can only be opened by a certain EXE.


For example, I would like MyApp1.EXE to be able to open files in c:\myfolder but I do not want other EXEs (such as notepad) from being able to open the files in that folder.


Is this possible?



Answer



I don't think this is standard Windows functionality.


Access right are based on users, not applications.


You can however run the programs as different users. From the context menu (hold the Shift + Right Mouse click on the program) select Run as different user. You will need different user accounts with the correct access control settings to the folders based on the users.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...