Tuesday 16 October 2018

networking - How to browse the net safely with Windows computers?

I have Windows 7 and Window 10 laptops. I'm thinking of a bullet-proof way to protect the computers from network threats such as the ransomware attacks that have been running wild during the last few days and months.


I'm thinking of a way to use the laptops' original Windows operating system just to handle the hardware - display, keyboard, mouse and audio - but limit networking to only some isolated environment inside the machine - a virtual machine or something like that.


Ideally Windows should not see any kind of network connection - there would be no way in and no way out. But networking would be possible from inside the virtual machine. Then, if some ransomware like Petya or Wannacry or something gets in, it would devastate only the virtual machine, not the real hardware.


How could this be achieved? The only idea I have come up with myself is to expose a serial port to VirtualBox and use it to make a PPP internet connection to a Linux box that acts as a network server. Or use the serial port with an ancient external telephone modem.


PPP internet connection to VirtualBox


Would this protect the Win10 PC from ransomware attacs? Can anyone think of anything more practical?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...