Saturday 6 October 2018

Set up an “alternative open with” hotkey in Windows 10

I have Windows 10. If I have highlighted a file and press "Enter", the file will be opened using the default program that I have chosen to open it.


I would like to be able to choose an alternative program to open these files if I press a different set of hotkeys, e.g., "Ctrl-Enter" or something.


For example, with my current setup, .txt files open with Notepad by default (i.e., if I press "Enter"), .html files open with Google Chrome by default, and .png files open with Windows Photo Viewer by default. I would like to be able to open .txt files and .html files with Notepad++, and to open .png files with Paint, if I highlight them and press something like "Ctrl-Enter".


Of course, I can already right-click and scroll to whatever program I want to open the files with, but since I do this very frequently, I want a faster, hot-key based approach.


Does anyone know of a way to set this up, either by something built into Windows or by some hack or other?


Thanks for any help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...