Saturday 6 October 2018

Can I use a second power supply for hard drives?

I have an old Pentium-M based Shuttle PC that is great as a backup NAS solution at home, where I prefer low power consumption over speed.


It only has two SATA ports. However it has a PCI slot and I have a 4-port PCI card.


So my plan is this:



  • Put the Pentium-M, PCI card, etc. into a case and let it use its native power supply (which is an external brick)

  • Install a second 450W power supply in the case and use it to power 4 SATA disks. Their SATA connectors would then plug into the PCI SATA card.


To be clear...the second 450W would not be plugged into the Pentium-M's motherboard Only the HDD power (and maybe some fans).


However...would the second 450W power supply actually spin up? If I power it on, would it supply power to the hard drives, or does it need to be plugged into a motherboard to actually provide juice?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...