Friday 2 February 2018

windows 8 - Processor always at max speed


I am running Windows 8 Pro on an Apple MacBook Pro 9,1 Mid 2012 15 inch non retina. It has a Core i7-3720 QM CPU @ 2.6 GHz. For the past few days, I have noticed that it is constantly running at max speed which is 2.59 GHz. Before, it used to run at 1.5 - 1.8 GHz on normal usage. And, the weirder thing is that CPU usage is minimal.


Screenshot:


Processor at max speed


So, what is the reason for this? And is it harmful?



Answer



I noticed the same issue when Hyper-V was enabled.


Hyper-V works by running a hypervisor layer between the bare metal machine and all operating systems running on it - including the host. It is this hypervisor layer that interacts directly with the system including the CPU, and so the host OS can only see the hardware that the hypervisor reports to it:


enter image description here


In this situation, the hypervisor reports to the OS the full speed of the processor and so it appears that dynamic multipliers (which is how the system reduces the CPU speed under low load) are not working however they are actually still active and being controlled by the hypervisor itself.


As such, there is nothing you need to do as the system is actually behaving as you want at the hardware level.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...