Wednesday 14 February 2018

Windows 100% CPU with no apparent reason

Started this morning to have 100% CPU on Windows 8.1, but without any process that causes it (at least in task manager)


Tried several fixes, like disabling the maintenance services, the anti-malware service, and even the windows defender. Nothing helps.


In addition, Normal reboot and even booting to safe mode still produces the same problem.


Malwarebytes Anti-malware does not find anything.


If I look at the task manager, anything running will consume full CPU cores, regardless of what the process is doing, and if nothing is being run, I get 100% CPU with all processes marked at 0.


UPDATE: Using msconfig to disable non-vital services on next boot provides good results, but doing normal boot followed by stopping all services that can be stopped does not. The only two directions now are: Disabling one service at a time and rebooting, or clean install of windows. Neither seems pleasant.


2nd UPDATE: I gave up and decided to upgrade to Win10 to see if that solves it. Guess what, it didn't. Finally did a clean install, and only then I got rid of this $#17. Thanks to anyone who tried to help.


100% without any process doing anything


Service processes taking full cores


Started firefox on blank page


Process Explorer and Task Manager Conflicting

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...