Saturday 10 February 2018

vba - Excel - Create text file named after a cell containing other cell data


I'm looking to create a .txt file for each value in column A containing the corresponding values in columns B and C



Answer



The more I looked at this the more I found it to be a useful little macro. In order to keep it from processing blank rows (and locking up my Excel) I rewrote the code to only create a file while there is data available. Also, the use of print rather than write creates text without the quotations. Here is what I used to accomplish the same thing.


Sub CreateFile()
Do While Not IsEmpty(ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1))
MyFile = ActiveCell.Value & ".txt"
'set and open file for output
fnum = FreeFile()
Open MyFile For Output As fnum
'use Print when you want the string without quotation marks
Print #fnum, ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) & " " & ActiveCell.Offset(0, 2)
Close #fnum
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
Loop
End Sub

Feel free to use and modify as you wish. Thanks for the great idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...