Monday 5 February 2018

unix - I don't fully understand CHMOD file permissions, can anyone better explain it?

I've searched the internet for some time for a good explanation of CHMOD, but have yet to come by a good explanation, since every explanation uses the same words with small variations.


What I know so far: There is the CHMOD number, which corresponds to 3 levels of access: Owner, Group, and everyone else. You can set Read, Write and Execute. 777 means all users can do everything and 000 means no one can do anything.


What I need help understanding Who ARE the "Owner, group, and everyone else". Typical explanations state that the owner is "Me", but I don't read, write or execute? I go onto my website as an anonymous user to test it. Who is a group user? they typically expain is a user in a group :P, does this mean my account on my shared hosting account? and who is everyone else?


This isn't a difficult concept to understand, but the explanations I've read are lacking any thorough explanation. From my understanding there is 2 types of users accessing my website. There is the server that accesses scripts/files and random people who ask the server to access these script/files.


Last but not least, the 3 accessors. from what I understand if "read" is disabled for a file, it will not be displayed, if "write" is disabled, it can't be modified by a script. and if execute is disabled, then i'm not really sure.


I would GREATLY appeciate a solid explanation and answer to these questions. It probably seems like a simple idea to most experienced server admins, but I'm currently learning server administration on shared hosting with Network Solution by myself, so i'm a little inexperienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...