Friday 16 February 2018

ubuntu - Karmic erased my desktop


I'm running Karmic RC 32-bit. Ran aptitude safe-upgrade this morning, then rebooted. Everything looks fine in GDM, I enter my password, the animation goes for a few seconds and then dumps me to my desktop wallpaper, and AWN, which I have set to automatically start at login.


No desktop icons, no gnome-panel, keyboard shortcuts (like Alt+F2) don't work. I can launch apps from AWN but they open without window decorations.


This happened with one of the Karmic alphas and I just reinstalled. Anyone have a less radical solution?


Edit: People have suggested running metacity --replace and gnome-panel from a gnome-terminal, and this gets me my window decorations and panel. What I'm looking for is, what file or script is responsible for setting up my session and launching these apps at login time, and how can I stop aptitude from breaking it?



Answer



The same thing happened to me when I upgraded to 9.04. Here is what I did:


Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 to change to a command line terminal and log in.


Now go to the directory `.config/autostart' in your home directory and create a file named 'nautilus desktop'. Copy the following content into that file:


[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Name=No Name
Name[en_US]=Nautilus
Comment=Start Nautilus on login event though this should happen automatically
Exec=nautilus --no-default-window
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true

Now log in to your graphical session again and with a little luck you should see the desktop populated this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...