Monday 5 February 2018

traffic shaping - How to limit bandwidth used by an IP in the penalty box in pfSense

We're trying to use the pfSense traffic shaping feature known as the Penalty Box. We are interested in limiting the bandwidth of a particular IP to 2%.


enter image description here


Note: There is a four-year-old bug in pfSense where you have the option to select other limiting options besides a percentage (e.g. kbit/s, bit/s, Mbit/s). But selecting any option other than % results in an error. Ideally I would have limited this one IP to 1 bit/s.


After the rules have been created/applied, the penalized IP is taking the majority of the link (e.g. 80%), rather than 2%:


enter image description here


How do I use the pfSense Penalty Box feature to limit the bandwidth of a particular IP?


The issue is that it consistently takes too much bandwidth, starving other (non-penalized) IP addresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...