Sunday 18 February 2018

security - Splitting a file provides some sort of encryption?


I was wondering if splitting a file with tools like HJsplit provides some sort of encryption.


Imagine I split an image or a pdf in various parts, if someone manage to get just 1 or more parts, could he figure out or gather information about the entire image or maybe reading part of the pdf?


If yes, what would be a good method to prevent this?



Answer



Encryption is when you scramble data, in this case your data is just incomplete. The data in the parts they have is accessible to them.


Instead of using HJsplit you could always make encrypted split archives. For example 7-zip allows you to make a 7z archive with 256bit AES encryption, and split it into multiple chunks.


7-zip screenshot of encrypted split 7z file creation


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...