Sunday 11 February 2018

keyboard shortcuts - How can I restart a Windows 7 computer without screen or mouse?


I've recently had problems with my work computer not recognizing either of its attached screens. I've also had problems with my home computer "locking" the mouse to one app, and no longer acknowledging clicks on, say, the start menu. In both cases the computer is still running, and I can close apps and so forth with the keyboard. Restarting usually addresses the problem.


What's the simplest way to restart a Windows 7 computer by the keyboard alone? Something consistent across all versions would be super.


In Win XP, I believe it was Ctrl-Alt-Delete; pause; Alt-R for Restart; Enter to select. But on 7 Ctrl-Alt-Delete no longer brings up the same menu. I'd use Ctrl-Alt-Esc for the Task Manager, but it no longer has a Restart menu (at least on Win 7 Home).



Answer



Found this article that provides the following advice. Tested and works on Win7 Pro 64 but haven't tested on any other versions.


Press Windows key. Release it.
Press (right arrow key twice).
Press .
Hit Enter.


Also can do Windows R.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...