Thursday 1 February 2018

encryption - Does anyone know how to encrypt an existing partition in linux while preserving its data


If I have a partition like /dev/hd1 that is unencrypted and want it to be encrypted, but want to keep everything currently in that partition, how can I do that?



Answer



There does not seem to be an solution to do that in place. Truecrypt offers the system encryption only for windows, dm-crypt overwrites partitions. Your best bet would be to move everything from that partition into a backup with cp -a, create an encrypted partition with luks/dm-crypt and move everything back.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...