Thursday 1 February 2018

compression - How much can data be compressed?

Is there a scientific limit to how much data can be compressed?


What I mean is, compression is essentially representing a larger amount of data with a smaller one, such as representing a=abc b=def etc... or you could have a database of larger chunks of data and represent them with a hash, write the hashes on a file, and rebuild it by replacing the hashes with their corresponding data, but here the birthday paradox comes in to play very early, for example, if you wanted to represent two digits with only one digit, one digit has a maximum combination of 10, whereas two digits has a maximum of 100 digits, which means the compression ratio here would be only 10% at best... is there any better way of compressing files?


Some way to store a large database of data combinations, represent them in a file that totals less than the original file, transfer it, and then rebuild it at its destination?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...