Wednesday 17 October 2018

permanently move the c:Users folder to another partition in windows 7




Possible Duplicate:
Moving users folder on Windows Vista/Seven to another partition



I have a small fast install of windows 7 on an SSD drive. I would like to move the c:\Users folder to another partition


I managed to change the HOMEDRIVE variable to be a different drive using lusrmgr.msc but the profile is still pointing to the c: partition.


I've tried using set on the USERPROFILE and HOME variables but they get reverted, and the same if I go through the environment variable GUI. The paths can be observed in the registry under HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1016127744-722935219-571307391-1000\Volatile Environment


There are a couple of related questions here, but they aren't fully answered or don't really refer to my requirements exactly. This is an existing intsall, whereby I need to move the Users folder off C to another partition.



Answer



The full write up for this can be found on Life Hacker. Basically, you can get the desired results by moving the folder and creating a symlink.


Use your install CD, or you preferred method to get to the recovery console. Firgure our which drive is you SSD and which is your HDD, in this case SSD is E and HDD is D.


Use Robocopy to copy the user directory from the SSD to HDD:


robocopy /copyall /mir /xj E:\Users D:\Users

Remove the users directory on the SSD:


rmdir /S /Q E:\Users

Make a symlink between the old and new location:


mklink /J E:\Users D:\Users

Test by running dir in the root on your SSD, you should see something similar to "Users [D:\Users]"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...