Friday 12 October 2018

hard drive - How can I render an SSD permanently inoperable with no chance of data recovery?


On platter drives, when it is time to dispose of them, a degaussing takes care of the data and in most cases erases the factory pre-recorded servo tracks rendering the drive useless.


What does one do to an SSD to get the same data destructive and rendered useless assurances?


EDIT:


Would taking it out of the case an microwaving it do the trick?



Answer



I found a couple of solutions that are destructive to .375 particle size. The "Crushers" are not cheap, but if info destruction is required, this looks like a way to do it without setting the drives on fire.


This looks like it will do for a desk top situation with low volume SSD- Hard Drive Crushers - CUI / Commercial Use.


crusher


And this one is more costly, but at .375 particle size:


crusher2


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...