Sunday 1 July 2018

How do I select and move an object in GIMP?


I added a rectangle to my layer and colored it. I then unselected it and added an ellipse and colored that. Now I want to go back and select the rectangle again and change its size - but I can't figure out how to select it again. Can I go back and select just the rectangle that I previously created and resize it?


Gimp v 2.8



Answer



GIMP is for raster graphics. It means it doesn't know if it's a rectangle, circle, line or Mona Lisa that you're drawing - it treats everything as a bunch of pixels. Think of your image as of a painting: once you paint something on that rectangle, it's covered with a paint of different color. If you want to enlarge it, you have to grab a brush and do it manually. If you want to move it, you have to paint it in that place and paint something else over the first one to cover it.


If you want to have an object that you can move around later in GIMP, draw it on a separate layer. You can also use vector graphics program like Inkscape for that - vector objects can be moved around in that manner, but editing such images has totally different feel that with rosters.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...