Wednesday 25 July 2018

How can I explain why DRM cannot work?


I am looking for the shortest comprehensive way to explain to people that are trying to use DRM as a technology to prevent users from using their data in some fashion deemed undesirable, why their solution cannot work by definition.


Ideally I'd like something that:



  • Covers why technically it is impossible to have people access local data, but only in such-and-such a way

  • Imparts an understanding of why this is, to avoid follow-on "But what if" rebuttals

  • Is intuitive enough and short enough that even a politician (j/k) could grasp it


When faced with this situation I try to be clear and concise, but I usually end up failing at least on one of these points. I'd really like to have a 'stock' answer that I can use in the future.



Answer



Okay, let me have a stab at combining (albeit inelegantly) the best points from the other answers... I'll make this answer CW so that if someone sees a chance to improve the polish (or content) they can (plus I don't want to gain rep for combining other people's answers).






  • With DRM, you're giving people the means to unlock the content you've protected, along with the content itself. Someone's going to find that "key" at some point, thus defeating it.




  • At some point, you have to decrypt the content. If the hacker(s) can get access to this data then they've defeated your DRM.




  • At some point, you also have to show the content to the user and then he/she can simply re-record it "in the clear" from that data. See Analog Hole (This is less of a problem with games, as interactive content can't easily be recorded then interacted with again at a later date)




  • DRM only punishes legitimate buyers, because adding DRM is only going to reduce the scope in which they can use your work and thus makes them less inclined to buy it.




  • All it takes is one person with the skill, tools, and time to crack it then it can be shared with anyone and there's no point in buying your version (except if you don't want to do something illegal of course! (Or if you honestly want to support the maker)).




  • Many people will opt to use a free version of your product regardless of the legality of using it without your DRM, because you are imposing unreasonable restrictions on how, where and why they use your work. Spore is a good example of this, as are many other programs/games/etc.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...