Friday 27 July 2018

windows vista - How do I tell if my computer supports hibernation?


In Windows Vista, there is regular Hibernation as well as a Hybrid Sleep mode. These features can be found and enabled in the Power Options dialog (advanced settings). For some reason, I don't have these options available on my desktop computer.


This is what my dialog box looks like:


power options dialog1


Note that the options Allow hybrid sleep as well as Hibernate after are missing under the Sleep section.


How do I tell if this is related to my hardware and the device drivers? What can I do about it?


Update:


After running powercfg /hibernation on I now have the Hybrid Sleep and Hibernation options.


power options dialog2



Answer



As the comments suggested, hibernation is not hardware specific but rather software specific.


Click your START button and type CMD, Right click on the CMD icon and select Run as administrator. Type POWERCFG /HIBERNATE ON in the command prompt window and press enter.


The nature of hibernation will tell the OS to dump all physical memory onto the hard disk and the OS will check the hibernation file upon power on. During the hibernation, the system is fully powered down and no power draw is occurred.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...