Thursday 26 July 2018

memory - I want to install more than the supported amount of RAM on my PC. Is it likely to work?



I have a Shuttle SG32G2 PC that I'm using as a small home server. It has two 240-pin DDR2 RAM slots, and officially supports 2GB per slot, for a maximum of 4GB of RAM, which I already have installed. I'd like to upgrade it to 8GB, using two 4GB sticks, however I've never tried installing more RAM than the motherboard officially supported, so I don't know if I'd be wasting my time or not.


Has anyone tried installing more than their motherboard's supported amount of RAM, and if so, what was your experience? Did it work? Did it render your PC unstable or unbootable? Did you run into issues that you were able to work around?


And for bonus points, if it won't work, why won't it work?



Answer



I have done it before and it has worked fine, however I noticed that the manual stated 2GB's, however the chipset specification said 4GB.


I think that generally speaking, it should work if you check the specification of the chipset. If the chipset doesn't support it, it is unlikely to work.


As for why - the reason probably is the computer just doesn't understand how to use it.


Looking at the Intel G31 information page (What your motherboard has) It states:



Dual-Channel DDR2 Memory Support


Delivers up to 12.8GB/s (DDR2 800 dual 6.4GB/s) of bandwidth and 4GB memory addressability for faster system responsiveness and support of 64-bit computing.



Based on this, I do not think it will work.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...