Tuesday 31 July 2018

peripherals - How much does it wear an SD card to be frequently removed/reinserted?


My digital camera (a Sony α55) stores photos on an SD card. When I want to transfer these to my computer (a mid-2010 MacBook Pro), I have two options: use the USB cable to connect the camera to the computer, or use the computer's built-in SD card reader.


The camera's SD card slot is the standard click-in, click-out (spring-loaded) mechanism. My laptop has a simple slot into which the card slides with a little more resistance than the former (the card slides only about halfway in so it can be easily removed).


I notice that the card's contacts now have some shiny marks from one or both of these card slots:



Does this type of wear threaten to significantly damage the card? Should I avoid switching the card between slots frequently, to extend its lifetime?



Answer



Here is example of SD card specification: http://www.transcend-info.com/products/spec.asp?Stype=Spec&ModNo=376&flag=showdetail


Durability 10,000 insertion/removal cycles 7 years while you'll use it every day ( remove from camera, plug in to computer, remove from computer and plug in to camera ).


And remember, you can buy another card, but you can't buy(and easily change) USB plug in camera. USB plug is not very durable too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...