Tuesday 31 July 2018

How do I access my modem's GUI when it's in bridged mode?


I wanted to try setting up my ActionTec P5001a DSL modem/router in bridged mode with a Linksys E2500 router for improved NAT performance. Switching the modem to bridged mode and the router to PPPoE worked perfectly, but now I seem to have no way to access the modem GUI if I want to do things like turn off its wireless antenna. (I was also thinking about disabling its NAT and DHCP functions, although are those are even relevant when it's in bridged mode?)


I've tried accessing it through the original IP address it used (192.168.0.1) both through the router and directly plugged into one of the modems Ethernet ports, but it seems to be no longer accessible through an IP address.


Is there a workaround for restoring the modem's default settings or another method to access the GUI besides through a browser using an IP address?


Thanks for any suggestions!



Answer




How do I access my modem's GUI when it's in bridged mode?



The few i've used, when in bridge mode, have no web interface or IP. (maybe yours does)


With those, you have to reset it(holding the reset pin) to get to the web interface and that takes it out of bridge mode. With yours, there may be other ways, but You can reset it too like that and get out of bridge mode and to a web interface.



no way to access the modem GUI if I want to do things like turn off its wireless antenna. (I was also thinking about disabling its NAT and DHCP functions, although are those are even relevant when it's in bridged mode?



With ones i've used, NAT and DHCP definitely aren't done when it's in bridge mode, I can't comment on others. I'd be surprised if it did wireless but you can check just to make 100% sure.. If you know the SSID (which you'd need to know to know how to connect to your own router when it's in regular mode), then look for that SSID to see if it's broadcasting. I'm sure you'll find that's off too, in any of these devices when in bridge mode. I suppose you could also prove that it's not doing NAT, with the tracert command tracert www.google.com and look for private IP addresses like 192.168 or 10.0 and you should only see one of them, if double NAT I suppose you'd see two.


Note


I have edited my answer, my previous answer said "When it's in bridge mode it has no web interface, no IP." I removed that since it's false for DDWRT and possibly false for some makes/models. The other answer says no , however that's not true either. I know this to be the case(the web interface turning off when in bridging mode), with some router/modem/switches, specifically with at least some, belkin ones e.g. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/869904 as mentioned here "if the belkin is correctly set to bridge mode you can not enter its gui web interface , as it is just a modem". It is true of DDWRT that you can still access the web interface.. Though quite likely that his particular make/model can, as the other answer claims to have used similar models to the OP, and says you can, i.e. you can with his. Though the other answer then talks about DDWRT which the OP may not be running. And the other answer doesn't specify what is going on with the OP's device if he has no access to his web interface.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...