Monday 12 November 2018

What is Linux and why go for it?



If some one (Windows User, non-techie) asks you, what is Linux and Why go for it? What would you answer?


Need a technical answer.



Answer



Linux is a generic term for any distribution running on the Linux Kernel. There are many 'flavours' (distributions) such as Fedora, Ubuntu and Debian. It is an free and open source alternative to Unix.


It is used for servers and desktop PCs alike.


Generally, it is more complex than windows, but runs a 'similar' to Mac OSX (which runs on FreeBSD, essentially.)


If I was to explain WHY they should go for it, it would really depend on what they wanted to use their PC for. Also, Your OS is less of a consideration than the applications you install.


With that in mind, if they wanted it for run-of-the-mill use such as writing documents and surfing the web, I would point them to OpenOffice.org and Firefox/Chrome then explain that with Linux, they can do practically everything they do on windows, without have to spend hundreds on software.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...