Friday 6 July 2018

windows 7 - File Name Warning for C:Program


Since a few weeks I get the error message after login:


File Name Warning
There is a file of folder on your computer called "C:\Program" which
could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it
to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem. Would you like to rename
it now?

[ ] Don't perform this check at startup

File Name Warning Screenshot


Clicking the Rename button results in the error message


Folder In Use
The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in
another program
Close the folder or file and try again

Folder In Use Screenshot


Therefore I started Process Explorer and did a Handle search for C:\Program. Of course it finds a lot of items for C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86), so I sorted them by name. There is no handle listed for C:\Program.


C:\Program in Process Explorer


Next I assumed it might be a permission issue and tried to take ownership of the folder. Unfortunately this does not work as well. I get


 Error applying security
An error occurred while applying security information to:
C:\Program
Access is denied.

Error applying security screenshot


followed by


Windows Security
Unable to set new owner on Program.
Access is denied.

Unable to set new owner Screenshot


The current owner is the administrators group and I am a member of that group. Checking the effective permissions, I have full control (all checkmarks checked). I can create files and delete files inside the folder.


There are no files inside the folder, neither in Explorer nor DOS (dir /a) nor Search Everything.


Some websites say I have malware, but I doubt that. I'm not visiting dangerous websites and I have an up to date virus scanner.


How do I delete the C:\Program folder?


Note: I don't have access to the BIOS, so can't boot from a CD drive or USB stick.


I know that I could disassemble the PC and connect the hard drive to a different PC, attach it as an external drive and then make changes to the disk. However, I'm looking for a built-in solution.



Answer



Have you tried booting into Safe Mode to see if it makes a difference? This should help rule out third-party programs and shell extensions that could could be interfering.


To use Safe Mode, restart your computer and hold F8 just before Windows starts to load.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...