Wednesday 4 July 2018

Installed SSH on Ubuntu computer, can't connect from computer over internet


I performed a sudo apt-get install ssh on my home PC running Ubuntu.


When I got to work, I tried to connect with just ssh x.x.x.x where that is my home IP address.


The connection is timing out over the internet, but when I was on that Ubuntu PC I connected to ssh localhost and it worked fine.


Do I need to do something to my network or that box to allow outside connections?



Answer



If you use a home router solution, you'll need to forward incoming TCP/22 to the ubuntu machine running SSH in order for the incoming connection to be properly forwarded to your linux box. This is usually labelled port forwarding or port mapping in your router's web interface. However, this won't fix anything if your place of employment is blocking TCP/22 outbound.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...