Friday 9 November 2018

windows - How to find the JPG quality?


When I save a JPG file with GIMP, I can adjust the quality I save it at, from 0-100 (I use 89). It seems like I've used an app to see what this number was on saved file but if I did I can't for the life of me figure out what it was. Any suggestions as to what to use?



Answer



Once saved, you cannot tell the quality anymore.


(Setting the quality while saving just tells the software how much loss you find acceptable, but once saved: what's lost is lost. You'd need a human to say if something looks nice.)


Hmmm, I guess I was wrong. I still think the above is correct, but ImageMagick's identify proves me wrong?


identify -verbose myimage.jpg

Image: myimage.jpg
Format: JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group JFIF format)
Class: DirectClass
Geometry: 358x240+0+0
Resolution: 300x300
[...]
Compression: JPEG
Quality: 90
Orientation: Undefined
[...]

I don't know how the image in my test was saved, but it does not have any EXIF data. Could the quality still be stored in the image?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...