Saturday 3 November 2018

windows 7 - PC not working correctly after downloading missing dll's . Need to delete them



A few days ago I updated my windows 7 ultimate (32 bits). After the updates I faced I couple of errors. All those errors were of programs like sidebar.exe, internet explorer, java, a lot of uninstalling programs, etc.... in the format in the picture below


enter image description here


All the missing dll files (7-10 files I think) have the name api-ms-win-downlevel-xxxxxxx-l1-1-0.dll where the "xxxxxxxx" is either ole32, user32, version,etc.... . Before doing anything I tried 'sfc /scannow' command in cmd, but there was no errors to fix.


So I tried looking for a solution and somehow ended downloading dll files from the internet (which screwed my pc). I tried doing stuff like 'regsvr32 /u api-ms-win-downlevel-xxxxx-l1-1-0.dll', deleting them manually, stopping their running processes, even trying to delete them with cmd (which gave me "access denied") but all in vain


All I want now is to :-



  1. Delete those dlls

  2. Get those missing dlls without messing up my pc


It might be my HDD though, I am currently checking whether it is or not



Answer



You updated windows and as a result you have missing DLL files? Sounds fishy. Even if this the case the situation now is worse because you downloaded system files from some crude website.


Your system might be infected with malware. You downloaded suspicious files. The only thing to do here is: wipe your hard disk. Install your operating system from scratch and use a backup to get your files back. You probably can't clean your system anymore once compromised and even if Norton or whatever tells you it's clean you can't be sure.


Follow some best practices:



  • don't use the Administrator account for an everyday user

  • don't download DLL or other system files from the internet

  • install Anti-Virus software

  • do OS updates regularly

  • do backups

  • use brain.exe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...