Tuesday 20 November 2018

macos - brew upgrade broke Vim on OS X (dyld: Library not loaded)


I've not run brew update && brew upgrade for a long time.


I just did a massive upgrade which turned out to broke my Vim.


This is what I got after running vim:



dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/ruby/lib/libruby.2.3.0.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/vim
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5

I've came across some websites but none of them were actually helpful.


They said that it might be related to rvm but brew uninstall vim; rvm system; brew install vim didn't help. I tried to reinstall my MacVim as well but it didn't solve the problem.


Adding export PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH" to my .bash_profile didn't help either.


Here's the list for future reference:



What happened to my Vim? How can I fix it?



Answer




brew link --overwrite ruby




Actually, it turned out to be quite simple. I followed the suggestion to run brew doctor and I got these results:



Warning: You have unlinked kegs in your Cellar
Leaving kegs unlinked can lead to build-trouble and cause brews that depend on
those kegs to fail to run properly once built. Run `brew link` on these:
ruby

So I ran brew link ruby. This is what I got:



Linking /usr/local/Cellar/ruby/2.3.1... v
Error: Could not symlink bin/rake
Target /usr/local/bin/rake
already exists. You may want to remove it:
rm '/usr/local/bin/rake'

As a result I decided to run brew link --overwrite ruby and now my Vim is working once again!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...